Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Engineer
Location: Huntsville, AL, or Vicksburg, MS, or Portland, Oregon
Secret clearance required
Under general supervision, performs high-level systems analysis, evaluation, design, integration, documentation, and implementation of very complex application that require a thorough knowledge of administrative and technical skills. Directs and participates in all phases of system development with emphasis on planning, analysis, evaluation, integration, testing and acceptance phases (IV&V and DT&E). Applies higher-level business or technical principles and methods to very difficult technical problems to arrive at automated engineering solution. Engineer will have a broad knowledge of Windows Desktop operating systems to include design considerations for desktop, laptop, and Thin-Client/VDI. The primary scope of this work shall include the efforts involved with developing, testing, and implementing virtualized workstation, laptop, and tablet images using VMWare ThinApp. Additionally, the candidate will function perform Tier 3-level incident and problem support of virtualized images and provide necessary recommendations on potential image/system enhancements, speed, security, etc.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible to perform Tier III VDI design, troubleshooting and incident management
- Responsible for system administrative functions to the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)/ Desktop as a Service (DaaS) support for DISA pilot unclassified and classified users.
- Responsible to support the hosting environment within a virtual machine (VM) environment using a consolidated computer, storage, and server devices over unclassified and classified networks.
- Responsible to provide, to the deployed systems, administration services, virtual machine services, directory services, virtual management services, and database services (in coordination with other operational entities).
- Maintain desktop image repository by uploading and deploying two or more DaaS images, e.g. one administrative and one standard user image, etc.
- Maintain and manage deployed Nutanix, or approved hardware, server equipment operation and connectivity, and physical and virtual machine technical support services and network devices (in coordination with networks team).
- Perform management and maintenance of VMWare server software (vCenter, Horizon View, etc).
- Maintain management and maintenance of server and desktop image, to include patching and monitoring.
- Support the configuration and operation of attached peripherals to the virtual desktop client.
- Deploy and integrate applications into the virtual desktop infrastructure
- Provision Desktops, support brokers in a load balanced environment, diagnose protocol errors, support load balancers, configure and support Profile Unity, provide user storage, diagnose Operating System and application errors, configure and support the hypervisor, etc.
- Understand networking, including TCP/IP and QoS
- Provide, operate, and maintain Core Build SW and updates associated with the SW functionality identified in the Master Software List in support of the Virtual Desktop Environment.
- Design, configure, integrate, implement, update, test, and maintain the UGM and Core Builds for all current and future operating systems, office suites, virtual operating systems, and applications in accordance with the Core Build Plan and the CMIP for all USACE desktop, mobile, thin client, and server computers.
- Assist in providing domain accounts for all necessary personnel within 72 hours.
- Provide Information Assurance (IA) technical support services and ensure that all system applications contain/remain fully, operationally compliant with approved DOD, Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) standards.
- Notify customer of authorized service interruptions (ASI) activity, as required.
- Manage and integrate GFP SW into the Core Builds.
- Develop, integrate, and distribute quarterly Core Build releases in accordance with the Release and Deployment process.
- Test all desktop, mobile and server applications and associated patches on the Core Build for compatibility with approved applications.
- Develop, maintain and provide relevant Core Build DIACAP (or successor certification and accreditation requirements) artifacts in a timely manner as requested.
- Collaborate with the Government to develop required registration paperwork for each new application in Core Build including new versions of each application.
- Maintain the library of DAA-approved Core Build components and images.
- Maintain a list of all approved SW, SW patches, and Group Policy Objects (GPO) in the CMDB.
- Integrate Government functionality requirements and upgrades to Government owned Core Build SW in the Core Build Plan. 11. Provide yearly deployment schedules and planned long term upgrades in the Core Build Plan.
- Assist with Information Assurance Vulnerability patching as required.
- Additional duties as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Personal computer, servers, Database Software, printers, network equipment and other general office equipment
Works in a general office environment.
Must be able to lift/push/pull 25 lbs.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
This position requires DoDI 8570.01-M IAT Level II certification and corresponding Computing Environment certification. Must have at least one of the following: MCSA System Administrator: Windows Server 2003, MCITP Server Administrator: Windows Server 2008, MCITP Enterprise Administrator: Windows Server 2008, MCITP Virtualization Administrator Windows Server 2008 R2, MCSA Windows Server 2008, MCSA Windows Server 2012, MCSE Server Administrator: Windows Server 2003, MCSE Desktop Infrastructure 2012, MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE Private Cloud 2012, Server+, VCP 4, VCP 5.
5-8 years of related systems engineering experience.
- 8570 IAT II (Security+ CE) or higher required, plus an applicable computing environment certification, also required
- VMware Certified Professional (desired)
- Must have experience with VMware View 5.0 or greater
- Must have experience with vSphere 5 or greater (including vCenter)
- Preferred experience with Teradici zero clients
- 2+ years administering Windows 2008/2008R/2012 environments
- Experience building and creating server and workstation images in a VDI
- SCCM application deployment/patching
- ITIL certification (desired)