Network Engineer II
Location: Huntsville, AL, or Vicksburg, MS, or Portland, Oregon
Secret Clearance is required
Under general supervision, performs high-level systems analysis, evaluation, design, integration, documentation, and implementation of very complex application that require a thorough knowledge of administrative and technical skills. Directs and participates in all phases of system development with emphasis on planning, analysis, evaluation, integration, testing and acceptance phases (IV&V and DT&E). Applies higher-level business or technical principles and methods to very difficult technical problems to arrive at automated engineering solution. Perform a variety of network management services related to the operation, performance, or availability of data communications networks. Modify command language programs, network start-up files, assign/reassign network device logical, analyze network performance, and recommend adjustments to a wide variety of complex network management functions. Responsibility for overall performance and availability of networks. Provide LAN/MAN/CAN/WAN consultant support with skill in network analysis, integration, and tuning. Analyze client LANs/MANs/CAN/WANs, isolate source of problems recommend reconfiguration and implementation of new network hardware to increase performance. Oversee management of network operating systems. Conduct load balancing efforts to achieve optimum device use and network performance. Establish mail boxes and monitor mail performance on the network. Coordinate with systems or communications engineering to resolve hardware problems. Work with customers and operations staff in scheduling preventive and emergency maintenance.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES: Please list by order of priority and, if possible, provide the percentage of time spent on the activity all should equal 100%.
- Analyze requirements and design LAN/WAN network configurations consistent with both short- and long-term objectives.
- Install, maintain and monitor network operations.
- Reporting of network operational status by gathering, prioritizing information and managing network projects.
- Secures network systems by establishing and following ACE-IT and USACE policies; defining and monitoring access to network resources.
- Maximize network performance by monitoring, troubleshooting, scheduling upgrades, collaborating with network architect and other network engineers.
- Establishes network environment by designing system configuration, directing systems installation, defining documenting and enforcing system standards.
- Research and solve complex problems regarding data communication failures.
- Train personnel in data communication operations and procedures.
- Serve as a communications technical resource.
- Performs other duties and assignments as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Network Routers, switches, load balancers, Firewalls, Personal computer, printers, network equipment and electronic test equipment and other general office equipment.
Works in a general office environment including computer rooms.
May, on occasion, install connecting cabling in office environment.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
Masters degree and seven years experience or Bachelors degree and ten years experience.
Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
This position requires DoDI 8570.01-M IAT Level II certification and corresponding Computing Environment certification. Must have at least one of the following: Security+, GSEC, SCNP, or SSCP. Also must have one of the following CE certifications: CCNP, CCVP, MCSE, MCITP.
Four years of related experience.
Cisco network equipment (Routers, switches, firewalls) skills/certifications.
General routing and switching and firewall competencies
Load Balancing experience and knowledge
Network documentation and standards remediation
Work well with a team and as independent contributor
Network design and implementation skills
Knowledge of LAN/WAN hardware configuration, performance tuning, troubleshooting